Carrot cake is one of my most favourite cakes of all time, I love its combination of sweet and spiciness, it’s a classic winter warmer and is also very easy to make!
For the cake:
- 250ml sunflower oil
- 2 eggs
- 225g caster sugar
- 200g carrots, grated
- 300g self raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1sp ground cinnamon
- a little freshly grated ginger
- zest of half an orange
For the icing:
- 50g softened butter, at room temperature
- 25g icing sugar
- 250g full fat cream cheese
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Grease two deep 20cm round sandwich tins and line the bases of the cake tins with baking parchment.
- Put the oil, eggs, and sugar into a large mixing bowl. The whisk until the mixture is well combined, lighter, and thickened. Gently fold the carrot into the cake batter, then stir in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and orange zest until everything is blended together.
- Place the mixture evenly between the tins. Then put the cakes in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Leave on a wire rack to cool.
- Put the butter, icing sugar, cream cheese and vanilla essence in a large mixing bowl and whisk, (I prefer using an electric whisk), until smooth and blended.
- Spread half the icing on one cake, then carefully sit the other cake on top, and spread the remaining icing on top to make any pattern of your choice.