- 50 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 300 g frozen or cooked fresh peas
- 1.7 l hot vegetable stock
- 350 g risotto rice
- 200 ml boiling water
- extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle (optional)
- Some fresh mint leaves, finally chopped (leaving some whole, to serve)
- Melt the butter in a large pan then add the onion and gently sweat for around 10 mins until they are really soft. While you are waiting, put 100 g of the peas into a food processor with a table spoon of warm water and blend until the peas are completely pureed.
- Next, stir the rice into the onion, increase heat to medium and sizzle the rice for 1 min. Pour in the boiling water, then bubble and stir until it is completely absorbed. Continue to cook the rice like this, adding a ladleful of stock at a time, and stir this continuously until the rice is tender and has creamy consistency – this may take around 20 to 30 minutes.
- Finally, Stir in the most of the pureed peas, the remaining peas, all of the chopped mint leaves and some salt and pepper, then turn off the heat and leave the risotto to stand for a few minutes. Give the risotto a final stir and adorn the plate with the remainder of the puree and the rest of the mint leaves ,and a drizzle of olive oil- if you like. The risotto is best enjoyed while it is still hot…