This is a delicious indo-chinese chilli chicken recipe that I absolutely love. This recipe has been adapted from ‘indianhealthyrecipes.com’.This is a mouthwatering dish that is brilliant to share…
1. To a bowl, add 250 grams of cubed boneless chicken, 1 ½ tsp soy sauce, 1 ½ tsp chili sauce and ¼ tsp pepper powder. Marinate and set aside until you prepare the seasoning ingredients. If you have time you can leave it for 45 minutes. This helps the chicken to absorb the flavors.
2. Sprinkle 2 tbsp cornflour, 2 tbsp plain flour if using and salt on the chicken. If you like to have a thick crunchy coating of the flour like we get in restaurants, add 1 tbsp more of plain flour and 1 tbsp more of corn flour. Mix well to coat. If the chicken is too dry, sprinkle little water and mix.
Optional: You can also use egg for binding instead of water. One small egg for ½ kg (1 lb) chicken works well. I have not used
3. Add chilli powder or paprika and mix again. This helps to get a good color. This is optional.
4. This is how the chicken looks. If you add too much water or make a batter, chicken will absorb lot of oil and will not turn crispy.
5. Heat oil until hot enough. Shallow fry or deep fry the chicken until golden. Drain off on the kitchen tissue. It can also be grilled in a preheated oven at 240 C for 20 to 25 minutes depending on the size of the pieces.You can as well put them on a skewer and grill.
6. Prepare the sauce for seasoning in a bowl. This way you will not end up using more sauces. Add soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, red chilli powder or paprika, chilli sauce, pepper powder to a bowl. I am using red chilli powder here again for the color.
7. Remove the oil to a bowl and Keep 2 tsps. Oil in the pan. Add garlic and fry for a minute. Add onions, green chilies, spring onions, celery and capsicum. Fry until they turn slightly tender. They must still keep the crunch.
8. Add the sauces and allow to bubble.
9. Add the chicken and Mix. If you feel the chicken is dry, sprinkle little water. Fry on high for 2 to 3 minutes till it looks dry.
Add 1 tsp corn flour, pinch of salt to half cup water or stock. Stir well to break any lumps. Taste this, it must be slightly salty. You can also add a tsp tomato ketchup if you like it. Pour the mixture towards the end. Stir well. The mixture comes to a boil and thickens, switch off. Add more sauces if desired. Adjust more or less water, corn flour, salt as needed to make more gravy. It can be served with fried rice.