As you probably know I have a bit of an obsession with coconut :), I LOVE IT! It is probably my most favourite thing to eat, and use when cooking. Despite the fact that it gives me mouth ulcers I love to snack on a bag of coconut chips. Anyway…i’m getting a little sidetracked!..coconut…mmmmm…:)
Quite a few members of the Indian community are pure vegetarian…they don’t eat egg. So I stumbled across this recipe on ‘blogexplore.com’ whilst trying to find a simple cupcake/muffin recipe that was suitable for all relatives, so here it is…
There is no necessity to ice the cupcakes because I think they are delicious as they are. However I am fully aware of the fact that dark brown muffins, that are not chocolate flavour tend not to appeal to the eye so much. Taking that into consideration I iced half of my batch with a simple buttercream icing, but i’m sure that a chocolate icing would be even yummier!
By the way… the flaked coconut tends to burn in the oven so watch out…
Makes 12 large cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, plus extra to sprinkle on top
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees C.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a large bowl combine together: all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, bicarbonate of soda and the caster sugar.
- In another bowl, mix together the yogurt, oil and vanilla and this mixture beat till smooth.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the wet mixture in the well, stirring gently to combine.
- Fold the shredded coconut into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared paper cases.
- Sprinkle the shredded coconut on top.
- Bake the muffins for around 20 minutes or once a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins on a wire rack.
- Ice the muffins if desired, otherwise these yummy coconut treats are ready to be served. Enjoy!